MSAA recognizes the importance of regular exercise as part of an overall wellness approach to effectively manage multiple sclerosis (MS). For individuals who may have difficulty with traditional land-based activities, the unique properties of water combined with its cool temperature can create an inviting and sometimes ideal exercise environment for people with MS.
As part of the Swim for MS initiative, MSAA has created this comprehensive Aquatic Center dedicated to increasing awareness, understanding, and availability of water-based exercise programs as a positive wellness opportunity for the MS community. This website contains four main sections:
- About Aquatic Exercise and MS – Discover more about the benefits of aquatic exercise and how water-based activities can be adapted to fit all levels of ability and types of MS.
- Aquatic Resources – Find helpful tips and suggestions on how to begin an aquatic exercise program and where to find a pool in your area.
- Multimedia Center – Watch inspirational videos of people living with MS who incorporate swimming and aquatic classes into their healthy lifestyle plan as well as a fitness video demonstrating numerous shallow-water exercises.
- For Healthcare Professionals – Access research findings and supportive information on aquatic exercise and MS for neurologists, physical therapists, rehab specialists, and aquatic fitness instructors.
If you have further questions about aquatic exercise and MS, please contact MSAA’s Helpline by phone at
(800) 532-7667, extension 154 or by email at MSquestions@mymsaa.org.
The Swim for MS Aquatic Center has been developed through a collaborative sponsorship
with Sanofi Genzyme.
If you would like to receive information, offers, and promotions from Sanofi Genzyme regarding its products, programs, and services, please visit this link.